Cleveland State University requires a written report prepared by an appropriately licensed professional that clearly diagnoses a disability and/or provides records showing the history of the disability. Medical doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, and school psychologists are among the professionals who routinely evaluate, diagnose, and treat disabilities. This list is not intended to be exhaustive or to restrict assessment in other pertinent and helpful areas such as vocational interests and aptitudes. The following guidelines are provided to assure that evaluation reports are appropriate to document eligibility.
- Hearing and speech disabilities - Qualified personnel include: ear, nose, and throat specialist; audiologist; speech therapist; psychologist; family physician; or other qualified medical specialist.
- Learning disability and attention deficit disorder - Qualified personnel include: licensed psychologist, psychiatrist, school psychologist, family physician, or other qualified licensed medical personnel. A recent Multifactor Evaluation (MFE) or Educational Testing Report (ETR) from the student’s K-12 school district may also suffice. An IEP, while helpful, is not considered documentation of disability.
- Mental or psychological disabilities - Qualified personnel include: psychologist, psychiatrist, licensed counselor, hospital record, family physician, or other mental health professional.
- Mobility, coordination, traumatic brain injury, HIV and AIDS, and health disabilities - Qualified personnel include: family physician, orthopedist, neurologist, cardiologist, rehabilitation specialist, or other medical professionals. Medical records must clearly document, diagnose, and discuss the condition.
- Visual disabilities - Qualified personnel include: ophthalmologist, optometrist, family physician, or other medical specialist.
Documentation Guidelines and forms
The following PDF documents give guidelines for what will be accepted by our office. Most of these documents include a form that must be filled out to register with the Office of Disability Services at Cleveland State. The forms need to be completed by the appropriate healthcare professional and sent to our office. The fax number and address are on the right side of this page.
- ADHD Verification Form
- Chronic Medical Disability Verification Form
- Hearing Verification Form
- Learning Disabilities Guidelines
- Neurological Disability Verification Form
- Physical and Mobility Disability Verification Form
- Psychiatric Disability Verification Form
- Vision Verification Form
Please attach our documentation coversheet with any e-mail or fax
Here is a list of Learning Disability Evaluators in the Cleveland Area. This list is not exhaustive and is in no way an endorsement of these facilities' services by our office.