Center for Faculty Excellence

Graduate Faculty Membership - Travel Policies and Procedures - Faculty Leaves - Outside Employment & Consulting - Faculty Profiles - Faculty Rights and Responsibilities(5) - Faculty Handbook

the Center for Teaching Excellence

Faculty Handbook

Go back to index

Faculty Rights and Responsibilities(5)


Graduate Faculty Membership

To teach graduate level courses at the 600/700/800 level, faculty must be members of the graduate faculty. Being hired by the University does not automatically qualify a faculty member for graduate faculty status; application for membership is required (application guidelines and deadlines are available at Graduate faculty status for faculty members within two (2) years of terminal degree completion is available for an initial three (3)-year period, with subsequent five (5)-year appointment periods (initial three (3)-year appointments are not available for adjunct or part-time faculty members). To qualify for a three (3)-year initial appointment a faculty member must provide evidence of at least one article in a refereed outlet or a formally invited book chapter in print or in press or documentation of at least one article or book chapter currently under review for publication in a refereed outlet. Part-time and other non-tenure-track faculty members are eligible for graduate faculty membership based on the same standards as tenure-track faculty.

Each College has established criteria for their faculty to receive the five (5)-year appointments. These criteria assure that members of the graduate faculty have met Graduate College standards of sustained scholarship or creative activity, or alternatively have been recognized for their accomplishments as practitioners in their disciplines. These College standards are available at

Travel Policies and Procedures

The University will reimburse faculty for travel expenses for University business or professional activity, within budgetary limitations. Each academic year the College Deans will inform the faculty of the amount of travel monies available (in recent years, these often take the form of "Professional Development Funds" awarded to each faculty member on an annual basis). Reimbursement is available for attending professional conferences and meetings, faculty development programs, research/scholarship/creative activities away from campus, and official University business (see Faculty Development Opportunities – Professional Development Funds for additional, or cross-over reimbursement options). Application for these funds should be made as early as possible to the chair/director or designees who may authorize the funds; in all cases, travel must be approved prior to the actual event. Faculty must comply with all University rules to receive reimbursement – original sales receipts, use of proper forms, etc. (Agreement 30.1-2). In addition, faculty need to complete the Travel Approval and Expense Report form if they are traveling as a University faculty member even if they will not be seeking University reimbursement; this is to ensure that the faculty member is covered by the University's insurance policy. Be sure to remember that if traveling during course instruction time faculty need to notify their Chair/Director in writing (email is acceptable) and indicate what coverage or alternative learning experience has been arranged for the students.

Faculty Leaves

Leaves of absences from faculty responsibilities may be for a variety of reasons, for different lengths of time, and with or without pay. An "absence" is considered to last no more than one (1) week and does not impact your regular schedule of teaching; requiring only prior notification to the department chair or school director. A "short leave" lasts more than one (1) week but less than five (5) weeks or requires the cancellation or rescheduling of one's teaching schedule of courses; requiring prior written permission from the department chair or school director. An "extended leave" lasts more than five (5) weeks and is normally considered a leave with pay (Bylaws 8.18).

Leaves without Pay

  • Military Service Leave
  • A leave for active military service, not active military reserve service (Bylaws 8.1.8(A); B(1)).

  • Special Leave
  • May be granted, normally for up to one (1) year, for study, research, professional employment, public office election or appointment, or other personal reasons (including other non-tenure track academic appointments) (Bylaws 8.1.8(B.2).

  • Family and Medical Leaves
  • Leaves due to medical or family reasons should be immediately discussed with your department chair or school director, in consultation with the College Dean's Office and the University's Department of Human Resources Development and Labor Relations ( A leave of this type may fall under the Family and Medical Leave Act (see the University's FMLA policy at

    Faculty members accrue sick leave at a rate of fifteen (15) days per calendar year (12 months), with no maximum accumulation limit. In addition, as bargaining unit members, they may choose to join the Sick Leave Bank (available only during the University's Open Enrollment period), an opportunity to donate up to ten (10) hours of sick leave per year (if the faculty member has a minimum of eighty (80) hours of accrued leave) for others to use if and when necessary (these donated hours are not refundable). The Bank allows other faculty members in need to use these hours for family and medical leave needs (for additional details see the Agreement 20.1-3).

Leaves with Pay

Sabbaticals (also called Professional Leaves of Absence or PLOA)

A full-time University faculty member with at least seven academic years of teaching service (may be cumulative, summer teaching does not count) and who has been granted tenure by the date of the leave may be granted professional leave (sabbatical) not to exceed one (1) year (100 percent pay for a one-semester leave, 66.7 percent pay for a two-semester leave; except in the College of Law, 11/12ths of pay for a one-semester leave, 66.7 percent for a two-semester leave). This leave may be for further education, research, or other professional program improvement benefits both the faculty member and the University (Bylaws 8.1.8(A3); Agreement 21.1-3). Normally, the faculty member shall not assume a paid position during this leave.

Applications for professional leave are normally made in the fall term, prior to November 15th, and require a written plan that describes in detail the project's purpose and expected outcomes, semester(s) included, any grant or fellowship connected with the leave, and a current curriculum vitae. Procedural and review steps that follow the submission of a professional leave proposal can be reviewed in the CSU-AAUP Contract (Agreement 21.4) and the Faculty Senate Bylaws (Bylaws 8.1.8(C)), or by consulting with your Dean's Office.

Outside Employment & Consulting

Faculty members are contractually obligated to the University during their nine (9)-month contract (academic year) and restricted during this time period as to other employment or paid professional capacities. There are specific policies regarding outside employment and consulting that restrict and inform faculty members (Agreement 26; Bylaws 8.1.10). For faculty, not including those in the College of Law, outside employment is designated into three categories. The first category is for activities that have "minimal impact" on the faculty member's University obligations, and includes, for example, paid reviews of scholarly or creative work, speeches, and tenure review of other University faculty candidates. The second category includes activities that have a "somewhat substantial, one-time" impact on the faculty member's University obligations, and includes, for example, teaching workshops or short courses, project consultation, expert testimony, and self-employment. The third category includes activities that have a "substantial and continuing" impact on the faculty member's University obligations, and includes, for example, long-term project consultation, expert testimony, and self-employment (Agreement 26.1). The first category requires the faculty member to simply include this work in the FAAR report. The second and third categories require prior approval from the department chair/school director and the Dean's Office. These outside employment opportunities should never directly compete with the University for funding opportunities and should not include, with rare exceptions, teaching at other educational institutions (Agreement 26.1-3).

Non-contract Time

These restrictions and pre-approvals described above apply within the faculty member's contractual obligations to the University (from the 2nd week of August through the 4th week of May, in most academic years). Faculty members may pursue other opportunities for professional development and employment with remuneration during time periods when they are not under full-time contract to the University.

Faculty Profiles

Faculty members have the opportunity to post information on their work and accomplishments. This University Faculty Profile ( is publically available and accessed by many inside and outside the University. At this site you can post your bio, publications, honors/awards, creative activities, research interests, professional experiences, teaching, and service activities. A link to all University courses taught is provided as well as links to your own web page, if desired. To build your profile, you simply use your University name and password to access the site ( Faculty members are strongly encouraged to establish and maintain a thorough and accurate profile online as their public face to the online world.

Go Back

Go back to index