Continuing Education

IELP Application Form


Application Process:

Students who want to study at the Intensive English Language

Program must be non-native speakers of English,18 years of age by the first day of classes

and must complete the following application process:

  1. Complete the application form on this website or request

    a brochure and application from

    or call 216-875-9669.

  2. Send the non-refundable application fee ($40) with credit

    card information, a check or money order (drawn from a US bank

    in US dollars) made payable to Cleveland State University.

  3. If you are requesting an I-20 form to get an F-1 Student

    visa, send original documents showing financial support (see

    information below).  All documents must be in English or
    sent with an official translation.

  4. Send a copy of your passport page so we can
    confirm the spelling of your name and your date
    of birth.
  5. Optional: If you are also applying to
    Cleveland State University, you can send your
    most recent high school or college transcripts
    (school records) translated into English.
  6. The application can be:

    Mailed to:   English as a Second Language Program

                        Continuing Education

                        Cleveland State University

                        2121 Euclid Avenue, CE 103

                        Cleveland, OH 44115-2214 USA

    Express Mailed to:  
                        English as a Second Language Program

    Cleveland State University
    3100 Chester Avenue CE 103
    Cleveland, OH 44115-2214 USA 

    Express Mailing Instructions

    Click Here!

    Faxed to:     216-687-5299

    Emailed to:  

    Download the application.  
    Click here
    for an MS

    Word version or
    click here for an Adobe version. 

    Click here to download the free Adobe Reader.

Apply Now!

Acceptance to the IELP does not guarantee acceptance to Cleveland

State University.  For information about admission to Cleveland State University,

please go to


Ways to Apply

  • All documents must be in English or sent
    with an official translation.
  • Fill

    out our application form below

    and send the application fee and documents separately

    by mail. You will receive a confirmation by mail.


  • Print

    application form. Fill it out and fax to (216)

    687-5299. Mail the other documents and application

    fee to the address on the form.

  • Print our
    application form. Fill it out and send

    it via postal mail, the application fee and documents to address

    on form.

  • Call the Intensive English Language Program
    for an in-person appointment at 216-875-9669 or
    216-875-9665. Our office hours are 8am -5pm and
    we are located at:

    Cleveland State
    Cole Center for Continuing Education
    3100 Chester Avenue
    Cleveland, OH 44115


of Financial Responsibility


international students must show financial (tuition and

living expenses) support for the length of time that they plan

to study or at least one semester or summer session. (See
Costs on website). Financial documentation must be

sent in order for Cleveland State University to issue an I-20

form. The financial verification and I-20 must be presented

at the U.S. Embassy or consulate when applying for an

F-1 Visa.

Please have two original financial documents prepared:

  • One for Cleveland State University and
  • One to present to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

All documents must be in English, original, dated and issued within

the past year. The originals must be in English or must
be sent with official translations. You must have one or a combination of the

following documents.

  1. An original bank statement in your name showing the

    amount of funds available in U.S. dollars.

  2. An original bank statement in your guarantor's name (sponsor

    parent) that indicates the amount (in U.S. dollars) available

    accompanied by a letter of confirmation from the guarantor

    of his or her intention to provide support. The bank statement

    MUST indicate a minimum amount held in the account, on

    bank stationary with a telephone and FAX number for the

    branch and street address.

  3. An Affidavit of Support (I-134 form) if your sponsor is

    a US citizen or Permanent Resident of U.S. The form can

    be obtained from our office or it can be downloaded at
    Item #11 must be completed indicating the sponsor's financial


  4. A letter from your guarantor's employer accompanied by

    a letter from the guarantor confirming his or her intention

    to provide support. The guarantor's salary must be at

    least twice the amount that he or she plans to provide.

  5. A letter of support from your government or other sponsoring

    agency that indicates the amount available and additional

    provisions, such as health insurance coverage. Please

    provide a signed copy of the award letter with billing

    instructions. You should also send a copy to Bursar's

    office once you arrive in order for the billing to take


If your documents indicate an amount in a currency other

than U.S. dollars we will convert the amount according to the exchange

rate on
the day we receive your financial support documents.


When we receive your application, we will mail you a confirmation

notice. If you have not received a confirmation notice

within one month, please call us at (216) 875-9669. Please

give us an e-mail address on your application, if you

have one.

Payment Information

Full Payment

Go to Treasury Services-Cashier’s office (MC 1st
floor) and pay by cash, check, or money order. If you are doing
third party billing, speak with the ESL office.

You can also pay by electronic check or credit card (AE,
MC, D) on Campusnet.  If you have your id # and password, so you
can pay on-line.

If paying by a Visa card, please go to Continuing
Education office* (CE 103).

If you need to do a wire transfer (bank to bank), please
get information from the ESL office (
or 216-875-9665).

 If you are staying on campus, have Fenn Tower or Viking
Hall information added to your ID card.

*If you pay at
Continuing Education, it will take a few extra days to show up
on your account. 

Payment Plan (4 Payments)

Go to Treasury Services in order to set up the Budget
Payment Plan. You must sign the form and give it to the
Cashier’s Office (MC 1st floor) with the first
payment. One fourth (1/4) of your bill is due at this time.  

Payments may be given at the Continuing Education office
(CE 103) if paying by Visa.  The first payment is due the first
week of classes.  If you live in a residence hall, you will have
to pay for your room at Treasury Services (MC Plaza) in order to
have the information added to your ID card.

The types of payment are the same as above.

The ESL office will have information about the exact
dates when payments are due.

*If you are not
registered yet, the tuition will not show on your bill.  Check
your bill/campusnet for the exact date or with the IELP office
if you are unsure.

Please note: 
Treasury Services will not accept payment on Visa cards.  They
will accept Mastercard, Discover or American Express with online
payments.  They will continue to accept cash, checks, money
orders, traveler’s checks and bank wire transfers.

The Continuing
Education office will continue to accept payment on Visa cards.



Your course fee will be refunded or your bill cancelled

if you withdraw from a course based on the University schedule policy.

Call (216) 875-9669 or stop by our office to withdraw.  Online courses: The refund period for a semester is the

first week of classes. The refund period for a 7-week session is the

first day of classes.


If you need assistance, call us at (216) 687-2144 before

your first class meeting for information about classroom



If we have to cancel a
class, we will notify you immediately. You may choose to
transfer to another class or receive a full tuition refund.


Please contact the IELP/ESL offices at

if you will have a car and need to park on campus.

 Please continue with this
application if you are applying to the Intensive English
Language Program only.

Bold items indicate required fields.

IELP Application

Please complete the entire application.

Background information

I want to start studying during the:

Fall Semester (August - December) Spring Semester (January - May) Summer Semester (May-August - 12 Week Session)

Your name as it appears on your passport

First Name

Middle Initial

Last (Family) Name

Permanent Address (in your country)

Street 1

Street 2


Postal Code


AfghanistanAlbaniaAlgeriaAmerican SamoaAndorraAngolaAnguillaAntarcticaAntigua and BarbudaArgentinaArmeniaArubaAustraliaAustriaAzerbaijanBahamasBahrainBangladeshBarbadosBelarusBelgiumBelizeBeninBermudaBhutanBoliviaBosnia and HerzegowinaBotswanaBouvet IslandBrazilBritish Indian Ocean TerritoryBrunei DarussalamBulgariaBurkina FasoBurundiCambodiaCameroonCanadaCape VerdeCayman IslandsCentral African RepublicChadChileChinaChristmas IslandCocos (Keeling) IslandsColombiaComorosCongoCongo, the Democratic Republic of theCook IslandsCosta RicaCote d'IvoireCroatia (Hrvatska)CubaCyprusCzech RepublicDenmarkDjiboutiDominicaDominican RepublicEast TimorEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEquatorial GuineaEritreaEstoniaEthiopiaFalkland Islands (Malvinas)Faroe IslandsFijiFinlandFranceFrance, MetropolitanFrench GuianaFrench PolynesiaFrench Southern TerritoriesGabonGambiaGeorgiaGermanyGhanaGibraltarGreeceGreenlandGrenadaGuadeloupeGuamGuatemalaGuineaGuinea-BissauGuyanaHaitiHeard and Mc Donald IslandsHoly See (Vatican City State)HondurasHong KongHungaryIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIran (Islamic Republic of)IraqIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaJapanJordanKazakhstanKenyaKiribatiKorea, Democratic People's Republic ofKorea, Republic ofKuwaitKyrgyzstanLao People's Democratic RepublicLatviaLebanonLesothoLiberiaLibyan Arab JamahiriyaLiechtensteinLithuaniaLuxembourgMacauMacedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic ofMadagascarMalawiMalaysiaMaldivesMaliMaltaMarshall IslandsMartiniqueMauritaniaMauritiusMayotteMexicoMicronesia, Federated States ofMoldova, Republic ofMonacoMongoliaMontserratMoroccoMozambiqueMyanmarNamibiaNauruNepalNetherlandsNetherlands AntillesNew CaledoniaNew ZealandNicaraguaNigerNigeriaNiueNorfolk IslandNorthern Mariana IslandsNorwayOmanPakistanPalauPanamaPapua New GuineaParaguayPeruPhilippinesPitcairnPolandPortugalPuerto RicoQatarReunionRomaniaRussian FederationRwandaSaint Kitts and NevisSaint LUCIASaint Vincent and the GrenadinesSamoaSan MarinoSao Tome and PrincipeSaudi ArabiaSenegalSeychellesSierra LeoneSingaporeSlovakia (Slovak Republic)SloveniaSolomon IslandsSomaliaSouth AfricaSouth Georgia and the South Sandwich IslandsSpainSri LankaSt. HelenaSt. Pierre and MiquelonSudanSurinameSvalbard and Jan Mayen IslandsSwazilandSwedenSwitzerlandSyrian Arab RepublicTaiwan, Province of ChinaTajikistanTanzania, United Republic ofThailandTogoTokelauTongaTrinidad and TobagoTunisiaTurkeyTurkmenistanTurks and Caicos IslandsTuvaluUgandaUkraineUnited Arab EmiratesUnited KingdomUnited StatesUnited States Minor Outlying IslandsUruguayUzbekistanVanuatuVenezuelaViet NamVirgin Islands (British)Virgin Islands (U.S.)Wallis and Futuna IslandsWestern SaharaYemenYugoslaviaZambiaZimbabweOther/Not Listed

Permanent telephone number, fax number and email

Home Phone

Home Fax


Current U.S. Address (if available)

U.S. Street 1

U.S. Street 2



Outside USAlabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District Of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Puerto Rico Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming

ZIP Code

Personal Information

Country of Birth

 <!--webbot bot="Validation" b-value-required="TRUE" i-minimum-length="4" i-maximum-length="50" -->

Country of Citizenship (Passport

 <!--webbot bot="Validation" b-value-required="TRUE" i-minimum-length="4" i-maximum-length="50" -->

Native Language


Please select oneFemaleMale

Date of Birth (MMDDYYYY)
(IELP students must be at least 18 years of age)

Education Information

Did you graduate from High

Please select oneYesNo

If you are already in the U.S., what is your visa status?

Please select oneNAB1B2J1J2F1F2

Alien Registration Number

Do you need an I-20 document to request a student visa? Students requesting an I-20 must show financial support.

Please select oneYesNo

Are you transferring from another school in the USA? If yes, please provide name and address.

Please select oneYesNo

Name of School

School Address

Dates of Attendance (MMYYYY)


Do you want to live on campus? (Students living on campus must be at least 17 years of age.)

Please select oneYesNo

Please give the name and contact
information in case of emergency (friend or family
preferably in the United States)

How did you learn about the Intensive English Language Program at Cleveland State University?

Friend/relativeCSU WebsiteMagazineInternet AdvertisingOther (please explain)

If other, please explain.