Cleveland State University and the University of Akron present an innovative Master's program in Social Work exclusively taught through distance learning via two-way interactive television.
The mission of the Joint Master's Degree in Social Work program is to prepare students for specialized, advanced-level, self-critical, accountable, and autonomous practice with oppressed, at risk, and vulnerable populations. The program provides a rigorous intellectual base, an opportunity for effective skill development, and an educational perspective that views human diversity as desirable and enriching to society. Students are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and values appropriate to the social work profession, the conceptual base of professional social work, the broad-based research strategies of the field, and the various social work roles and intervention strategies used in social work practice.
In addition to the Cleveland State University and the University of Akron graduate college requirements for admission, the joint MSW program requires of all applicants:
- (a) an undergraduate major in social work or a related field;
- (b) a minimum grade point average of 3.00 in social work and behavioral sciences courses taken prior to application for admission;
- (c) a minimum of 8 courses in this area;
- (d) three letters of reference;
- (e) an essay of 3 to 5 typed pages explaining;
- 1) why the applicant wants to be/is a social worker;
- 2) why a graduate degree is felt to be necessary to fulfill personal or professional objectives;
- 3) the applicant's views regarding diversity in society;
- 4) a situation in which the student was the recipient/provider of help, emotionally, socially, or economically; and
- 5) a description of previous social work/human service work experience.
Application deadline is February 28
- 60 graduate credits of approved courses in social work. Up to 9 credits of graduate-level electives outside the department may be included in the program. There is no foreign language requirement.
- Complete an approved program of courses which include the following required courses:
|Second Year Concentrations|
The MSW Field Manual is available to download in two formats.
- APPENDIX A - Joint MSW Field Application
- APPENDIX B - Joint MSW Field at Place Employment Proposal
- APPENDIX C-1 - Foundation Field Evaluation
- APPENDIX C-2 - Foundation Learning Contract
- APPENDIX D-1 - Student Evaluation Guidelines
- APPENDIX D-2 - Foundation Student Evaluation
- APPENDIX E-1 - Micro Contract & Evaluation
- APPENDIX E-2 - Micro Learning Contract
- APPENDIX F-1 - Student Evaluation Guidelines
- APPENDIX F-2 - Micro Student Evaluation
- APPENDIX G-1 - Macro Teaching-Learning ContractInstructions
- APPENDIX G-2 - Macro Learning Contract
- APPENDIX H-2 - Macro Student Evaluation
- APPENDIX J - Activity Time Log
For more information, contact:
Cleveland State University, The School of Social Work
2300 Chester Ave, 3rd Floor, Cleveland, Ohio, 44114
Telephone: 216-687-4560 || Fax: 216-687-5590
The University of Akron, School of Social Work
Polsky Building, 411, Akron, OH 44325-8001
Telephone: 330-972-5974 || Fax: 330-972-5739
University of Akron Social Work Homepage