You're responsible for the health and development of a very important person- your child. NAEYC wants children to receive the care and attention they deserve in a safe, healthy learning environment. When you choose a NAEYC Accredited program, you're joining a program that has demonstrated its commitment to excellence in early childhood education. You have high expectations...and so do we.
NAEYC-Accredited programs must
- Promote positive relationships for all children and adults to encourage each child's sense of individual worth.
- Implement a curriculum that fosters all areas of child development: cognitive, emotional, language, physical, and social.
- Use developmentally, culturally, and linguistically appropriate and effective teaching approaches.
- Provide ongoing assessments of each child's learning and development and communicate the child's progress to the family.
- Promote the nutrition and health of children and protect children and staff from illness and injury.
- Employ and support a teaching staff that has the educational qualifications, knowledge, and professional commitment necessary to promote children's learning and development and to support families' diverse interests and needs.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with each child's family.
- Establish relationships with and use the resources of the community to support achievement of program goals.
- Provide a safe and healthy physical environment.
- Implement strong personnel, fiscal, and program management policies so that all children, families, and staff have high-quality experiences.
Early childhood education programs are proud to be accredited by NAEYC because they know they have worked hard for that achievement. Using NAEYC tools and materials, they are continuously improving their programs to provide the best possible educationalopportunities for children. After an extensive application process, skilled and reliable NAEYC program assessors visit each program to determine that it is meeting NAEYC standards. Following accreditation, all programs are subject to random, unannounced visits by assessors to ensure that the programs continue to meet these standards.
The Right Choice for Kids
NAEYC Accreditation is the mark of quality that you seek, and it assures you that your child will be safe, healthy, and learning each day. Accredited programs have met NAEYC's 10 standards for high quality early childhood education. These programs have demonstrated that they provide a safe and healthy environment for children, have teachers who are well trained, have access to excellent teaching materials, and work with a curriculum that is appropriately challenging and developmentally sound. Make sure to look for the NAEYC Accreditation torch when choosing the right program for your child. Visit www.rightchoiceforkids.org for more information. When you choose an NAEYC-Accredited program, you are making the right choice for kids.