IELP Financial Verification Requirements
All Intensive English Language Program students must show financial (tuition and living expenses) support for at least one semester (or summer session). Financial documentation must be presented in order for Cleveland State University to issue an I-20(F-1) or DS 2019(J-1) form. The financial verification and I-20 or DS 2019 must be presented at the U.S. Embassy or consulate when applying for either an F-1 or J-1 Visa. Please have two original financial documents prepared:
• One for Cleveland State University and
• One to present to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
All documents MUST be in English, original, dated and issued within the past year.
The following documents or combinations of documents are acceptable
- An original bank statement in your name, which indicates the amount of funds available.
- An original bank statement in your guarantor's name (sponsor or parent) that indicates the amount available accompanied by a letter of confirmation from the guarantor of his or her intention to provide support. The bank statement MUST indicate a minimum amount held in the account, on bank stationary with a telephone, FAX number and street address.
- An Affidavit of Support (I-134 form) if your sponsor is a US citizen or Permanent Resident of U.S. The form can be obtained from our office or it can be downloaded here. Item #11 must be completed indicating the sponsor's financial intentions.
- A letter from your guarantor's employer accompanied by a letter from the guarantor confirming his or her intention to provide support. The guarantor's salary must show his/her ability to provide the amount of the promised support.
- A letter of support from your government or other sponsoring agency that indicates the amount available and additional provisions, such as health insurance coverage. Please provide a signed copy of the award letter with billing instructions. You should also send a copy to Office of Treasury Services on campus once you arrive in order for the billing to take place.
If your documents indicate an amount in a currency other than U.S. dollars we will convert the amount according to the exchange rate on the day we receive your financial support documents.