School Counselor Internship Information
Internship is the second and final field experience in the School Counseling Program at Cleveland State University, and is intended to provide students a supervised learning experience to develop and demonstrate the required skills and knowledge for the setting and population of his or her eventual placement. A site should be chosen for both the service they provide to their students and for the learning opportunities they provide to the intern. Internship is offered starting in Fall semester (CNS 685) and ending in Spring semester (CNS 685). All required forms for internship are located at the bottom of this page.
Completion of all your course work prior to your internship experience will enrich your educational journey and is recommended. Completion of the following courses prior to internship is mandatory.
|CNS 611 – Appraisal in Counseling||CNS 623 - Group Process and Practice|
|CNS 617 - Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling||CNS 678 – Foundations of School Counseling|
|CNS 620 - Laboratory in Counseling Techniques||CNS 679 – Program Development and Management in School Counseling|
|CNS 622 - Individual Counseling: Theory and Process||CNS 680 - Counseling Practicum (Must be completed prior to first day of internship)|
Some of the following courses may be taken concurrently with internship.
|CNS 604 –Cultural and Social Foundations in Counseling||ALD 603 – Life Span Development|
|CNS 624 – Career Development and Information Services||EDB 601 – Educational Research|
|CNS 670 – Counseling Children & Adolescents||CNS 706 – Psychopathology and Diagnosis for Counselors|
|Electives (2 credit hours)|
- An internship application is due on or before March 8th prior to the intended year of internship. The application must be signed by your advisor. The application is available on this page.
- All students planning to take internship in the Fall must attend an orientation meeting which is held during the Fall semester. Please check News and Announcements on the counseling Web page for date, time, and location of the meeting.
- Interns are primarily responsible for selecting and obtaining the internship site. This is to provide students the opportunity and flexibility to find a site most suited for their unique needs (e.g., geographic location, work requirements, family responsibilities, etc.)
- The school counselor site supervisor must be an Ohio Licensed/Certified School Counselor with at least 2 years of experience as a school counselor.
- Interns must have the opportunity to earn 600 total hours total in two semester. This means 300 (120 direct; 180 indirect) hours per semester. These 600 hours must include 240 direct service hours and 360 indirect service hours. This approximates 20 hours per week on site with 8 direct hours per week.
- Intern must be able to record at least 6 counseling sessions. You must have the parent or guardian sign the Consent to Tape Form before recording the session.
- Please check on appropriate dress code for your site. Deep cut tops, overly tight clothing, see through clothing, flip-flops, sweat pants are deemed inappropriate.
- Must attend weekly classes in addition to site requirements.
- Course instructors will provide you with additional requirements to complete the practicum.
- All students in the program are required to have liability insurance for the duration of internship. Most professional organizations include liability insurance in their student memberships.
Some suggested insurance carriers are:
- American School Counseling Association – www.schoolcounselor.org
- Other related professional associations Insurance companies
- Insurance companies
- Sometimes insurance is covered by the school or agency.
- Liability insurance obtained for practicum will expire during internship. Please make necessary arrangements to renew in a timely manner.
Licensing Examinations & Other Requirements
Please check with ESSC in Julka Hall 170 during Spring semester of internship for the necessary paperwork to complete to obtain your school counselor license. You may take your Praxis II soon after completing your Practicum or during internship in the Fall semester. Praxis is offered through www.ets.org .
NOTE: If you are terminated from your internship site, this will be considered an automatic failure to complete internship requirements. You must complete internship successfully, in addition to other coursework, to graduate..
Cleveland State University
College of Education and Human Services
Counseling, Administration, Supervision,
and Adult Learning
2121 Euclid Avenue
Julka Hall 275
Cleveland, OH 44115
Julka Hall 275
2485 Euclid Avenue
Tel: (216) 687-4613