Director Deborah Morin Ph.D
To be successful in maximizing the education of all students, schools are moving beyond relying on principals alone to fulfill all of the leadership needs in the school environment. Increasingly, schools will be turning to experienced teachers to provide leadership beyond their classroom to help guide school improvement.
House Bill 1 in the Ohio legislature created a position called "lead teacher," also known as Teacher Leader. In connection with the new Resident Educator program for entry and beginning teachers, the Ohio Department of Education has established a Teacher Leader Endorsement which can be added to a professional educator license. This endorsement will prepare teacher leaders to support, mentor, and work with newly employed teachers in their residency period. Besides successfully completing the required course work, each candidate must also demonstrate teaching practice at the distinguished level according to the Ohio Standards for the Teaching Profession.
Graduates will demonstrate the ability to:
- Use evidenced-based principles of effective leadership and teacher learning
- Use data-based decision making and evidence-based practice
- Facilitate a collaborative learning culture
- Support professional learning and improved teaching practice
Who should apply for the Empowered Leaders Teacher Endorsement Program?
Applicants must meet the minimum requirements:
- A master's degree from an accredited institution
- Eight (8) years of teaching experience
- Possess a professional license
Qualified candidates are invited to apply for this program by submitting the following application materials:
- Apply as Graduate Licensure to the College of Graduate Studies
- Graduate Studies application
- Official copy of transcripts for undergraduate and graduate education
- $30 application fee (This is a one time fee.)
- Two reference letters: one reference from an administrator and one reference from a teaching/professional colleague
- a copy of a professional teaching license
- a 10-minute video recording of their teaching with a self-critique identifying strengths, weaknesses, purpose of the lesson, evaluation of student success in the lesson, changes for the next time that lesson is taught
Upon review of your application materials and transcripts, the Acceptance Committee will select Candidates meeting the requirements to participate in a group interview and provide a one-page writing sample on the day of the interview.
Download Program Brochure