Counseling, Administration, Supervision, and Adult Learning (CASAL)

FAQs - What is the difference between the non-accelerated (or traditional) and accelerated programs?


What is the difference between the non-accelerated (or traditional) and accelerated programs?

The accelerated program is full-time with 3 courses/semester and meets at the East Center in Solon, OH on Friday nights and all day on Saturdays. Usually students take 2 5 week courses and one online course each semester. It is a cohort program - which means that the program generally starts in the fall and students attend classes for the next 15 months (including the summer sessions) and then graduate in December. In other words, this is a full-time, very structure and accelerated program.

In our traditional program you can either attend part-time or full-time - at your own pace. The classes are offered at the Main Campus downtown in the evenings. So, if you took one class you would be in class for one evening/week during the semester.

You may also take most of our classes in an online format. This can supplement your course work either through the downtown traditional program or through the accelerated program.

Further information can be found at our website:

Adult Learning and Development Home Page

How soon should I apply to the program?

You should apply to the program as soon as you meet the requirements. The requirements are to either 1) have a 3.0 GPA in your undergraduate or most recent graduate degree from an accredited institution; 2) take the GRE and score in the 50th percentile or 3) Take 12 credit hours in the program as a degree seeking student and obtain at least a 3.0 GPA. Please note that one of those courses in the 12 hours must be EDB 601 – which is the research course. If you meet any of these three requirements go online and apply for admission to the program. The website with detailed information is The sooner that you are admitted into the program, the sooner you can meet with an advisor to tailor your program to your career aspirations.

How many credit hours would you recommend for a first year graduate student?

The answer to this question depends on whether you are a full-time or part-time student. We recommend that full time students limit their first semester to 8-9 credit hours. If you are part-time and especially if you have been out of school for longer than a year and are working full-time, we then recommend that you take one course the first semester, so that you can get your feet wet and see how much rearrangement you will need to add school back into your life.

When do you get an advisor?

An advisor is assigned once you become a degree-seeking student in the Adult Learning and Development program. In the meantime, you may contact the program director if you have specific questions.

When and why should you meet with your advisor?

As soon as you receive your assignment letter telling you who your advisor is, you should email them and request an appointment to meet and discuss your career aspirations, the requirements for the Master’s in Adult Learning and Development and fill out your program of study. One important component of meeting with your advisor is discussing the best possible elective for your goals and to discuss the internship and exit requirements.

When is the program of study form due?

The program of study is a blueprint to help you make the most efficient use of your time and take the courses that will benefit your career aspirations. Therefore, it is in your best interest to apply as soon as possible to be a degree-seeking student. In addition, as soon as you get your letter assigning you to an advisor and a program of study form, you should contact your advisor by email and ask to schedule an appointment to fill out the program of study.

At this time, your advisor will give you important information about the internship requirement and the exit option. This meeting with your advisor is designed to help you be successful in obtaining your Master’s degree as you strive to meet your career goals.

In addition, a program of study needs to be on file in order to register for both ALD 688, the internship class and ALD 689, the Portfolio Development exit option.

I was accepted into the CASAL program for Fall. Due to some personal circumstances, I was unable to start classes and did not register. I would like to start classes in January, but am unsure what I need to do to begin that process.

Since you were accepted into the program as a degree-seeking student, you can register for classes in January. The spring schedule will be visible on campus net about the 3rd week of October and you will be able to register for spring classes during the second week of November. I am not sure how many credits you want to take so here is my recommendation in order of importance to help you get you off to a great start in the program:

  1. EDB 601 - Educational Research - 3 credits
  2. ETE 501 - Technology Strand - 2 credits (usually this class is taken with EDB 601).
  3. ALD 605 - Psychology of Adult Learners - 3 credits OR
  4. ALD 607 - Adult Education in a Changing Society – 4 credits

How can I determine what classes will be offered next semester?

At the A-z index of the CSU home page you will find a link for CampusNet. You can log on there as a guest. Then select the term that you are interested in, graduate level, and education and select the continue button. On the next page select ALD from the drop down box for subject and you will be able to see which courses are offered for that particular semester.