The School Counseling program is a CACREP approved 48 semester-hour program that leads to licensure in the state of Ohio as a school counselor.In addition to successful completion of all program coursework, candidates for the School Counselor license must pass the Ohio Assessments for Educators School Counselor Exam (OAE-40). Note: As of January, 2003, a teaching credential is no longer required to apply for the license.
To plan your school counseling program, please click on any link below for the School Counseling Program located here. If you need a program of study, it is located under Program Requirements under the Menu.
Application Deadline: Summer/Fall admission applications must be completed by January 21st. Spring admission applications must be complete by August 31st.
Minimum G.P.A: 2.75
GRE Requirement: Required GRE or MAT.
Letters of Recommendation: Required.
Degree Completion Requirements
Forty-eight credit hours leading to a degree.
CNS 523 - Small Group Laboratory
CNS 620 - Laboratory in Counseling Techniques —first course to be taken after acceptance into the Counseling Program
RESEARCH IN BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES
- EDB 601 - Educational Research
CULTURAL FOUNDATIONS AND SOCIAL ISSUES
- CNS 604 - Cultural & Social Foundations in Counseling
- CNS 617 - Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling
SCHOOL COUNSELOR PRACTICES AND PRINCIPLES
- CNS 678 - Foundations of School Counseling
- CNS 679 - Program Development and Management in School Counseling
- ALD 603 - Lifespan Development
- CNS 622 - Individual Counseling:Theory & Process
- CNS 670 - Counseling Children & Adolescents
- CNS 623 - Group Process and Practice
Note: Active involvement in a personal growth group is usually a required part of this course.
ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS
- CNS 611 - Appraisal Counseling
- CNS 706 - Psychopathology and Diagnosis fo Counselors
- CNS 624 - Career Development & Information Services
CLINICAL AND FIELD-BASED EXPERIENCE
- CNS 680 - Counseling Practicum
- CNS 685 - Internship in School Counseling
- How to Apply
- Master Schedule
- Regular Course Sequence
- Accelerated Course Sequence
- Praticum Requirements
- Internship Requirements
- Program of Study
- School and Clinical Mental Health Counseling Handbook
- Ohio School Counselor Assessment Registry page
SCHOOL COUNSELING PROGRAM CACREP VITAL STATISTICS
- The number of Program graduates from the past year is 15.
- The Program completion rate is 95%.
- The licensure or certification examination pass rate is 100% on first attempt.
- The job placement rate 59%.