Mr. Wilton Sogg
Attorney at Law
McCarthy, Lebit, Crystal & Liffman Co., L.P.A.
Areas of Emphasis
General Corporate and Business; Financial Services; Real Estate; Business Litigation; Estate Planning and Wealth Preservation
- McCarthy, Lebit, Crystal & Liffman, Of Counsel to the firm, 2001 to date.
- Partner with Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 1986-2000. Partner with Guren, Merritt, Feibel,
- Sogg & Cohen from 1960 to April, 1984. Of Counsel to the firm, 1984-86.
- Served a full range of corporate clients from start-up businesses to public corporations, advising on all aspects of the business life cycle from formations, through financing and growth, merger, acquisition and disposition.
- Served as counsel to both borrowers and lenders in a wide variety of financing transactions, from basic loans, to complicated multi-party, multi-layered loan transactions with equity components.
- Advised clients on the many different real estate issues, from purchases and sales of homes, through syndications of large office buildings, apartment projects, and shopping centers.
- Responsible for planning, supervising, setting strategy and budget for complex corporate, commercial and business litigation involving matters such as lease disputes; confidentiality and non-disclosure matters; supplier and customer disputes; and regulatory matters at the state and federal levels.
- Advised corporate clients and family businesses in sophisticated personal and business, estate, financial, philanthropic and tax planning and estate administration.
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University, Adjunct Professor, 1961 to present. Taught Business Planning, Corporate Taxation, Change and the Law, Torts and Conflict of Laws.
- Ohio Bar Review and Writing Seminar, Lecturer, 1966-85.
- Harvard Law School lecturer, 1978 and 1979. Lectured on subjects of Entrepreneurship, Family Business, and Small Business.
- Host, "Business Line," Viacom Channels 34 and 35, thirty minute weekly Television Program.
- Host, "Business and The Law," twice daily radio program on station WERE.
- Columnist, "Properties," "Habitat," and "Western Reserve Business Review."
- Admitted to practice in Ohio and Florida.
- In excess of 100 articles appearing in law reviews, professional journals, CLE materials and popular periodicals on topics including: corporations, banking, real estate development, owner-managed business, family business, tax, and business law.
- Co-author of 38 new and revised volumes in the Smith's Review–Legal Gem Series, published by West Publishing Company.
Honors and Professional Recognition
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America.
- President's Commission on the Holocaust, Advisory Committee.
- Finalist, Entrepreneur of the Year, Supporter of Entrepreneurship, 1995, 1996, 1997.
- First recipient, Ohio State Bar Association, Friend of Legal Education Award, 2002.
- Recipient of U.S. Small Business Administration, Attorney Advocate of the Year Award, State of Ohio, 1984.
- Kane Memorial Award, Jewish Community Federation of Cleveland's annual award to outstanding young leader, 1970.
- Graduate School of Credit and Financial Management, The London Graduate School of Business Studies, 1974-76.
- Fulbright Fellowship, University of London, School of Economics, London, England, 1959-60.
- Harvard Law School, L.L.B., now J.D. Degree, 1959:
- Editor, Harvard Law Review; Harvard International Program in Taxation instructor during third year of law school.
- Dartmouth College, A.B., magna cum laude, 1956.
- Jewish Community Federation of Cleveland: Board of Trustees; Delegate Assembly, Chairman; Community Relations
- Co-Chair, Metropolitan, Young Business and Professional, Attorneys’ Divisions Jewish Welfare Fund Appeal.
- Ohio Audubon, Trustee and President.
- The Cleveland Jewish News: President; member of Board of Trustees
- The Cleveland College of Jewish Studies: member of Board of Trustees
- American Jewish Committee: Chairman, Cleveland Chapters; member, National Executive Council
- Board of Overseers of Cleveland Marshall College of Law of Cleveland State University
- Visiting Committee, Monte Ahuja College of Business, Cleveland State University
- Fulbright Alumni Association; Germany Philatelic Society
- Oakwood Club, Union Club, Cleveland, Ohio; Chagrin Valley Hunt